Crumbs! Humans should eat cake – not the other way round.
Astra’s family are all snoring in their sleeping pods, but Astra is WIDE AWAKE.
With her friend, Pilbeam, she goes off exploring and soon finds out the ship is in deep trouble. It’s been knocked off course and invaded by a gang of Poglites, an alien salvage crew searching for spoons.
But even the Poglites need Astra’s help when they discover something far more sinister lurking in the canteen…
Sure, they’re cakes; but no one would describe them as sweet! Another splendiferous adventure from dynamic duo, Philip Reeve and Sarah McIntyre.
Share your first responses to this book, before talking about key feelings and questions.
Open questions to get you started:
- What did you like best in this book?
- What do you remember most?
- What didn’t you like?
Then talk about the story in more detail:
- Was this book what you expected?
- Did you read it straight through, or did it take a while?
- What age person do you think would like this book best? Why?
- What did you think of the characters? – the people and the robots! Who is your favourite? Why?
- Astra’s request for ‘the Ultimate Cake’ has scary results! What lesson do we learn from this?!
- What did you think of the way everything turned out? Had you worked out what might happen? How?